Sunday, September 18, 2005

Lost!


I've lost one of my most prized posessions! A Georgian mourning ring that I was wearing on Saturday. The last time I remember seeing it was when I was in my mom's car and I showed it NDN. I've looked everywhere, and I have my mom looking everywhere too. I am desperately sad about it. It looked something like the ring pictured here. Only mind was longer and more rectangular and in better condition (I think), except that it was missing one pearl. It also had beautiful gold scroll work on the sides instead of the extra pearls. And engraved on the inside it read "Forget me not."

Everyone I know thinks it's creepy that I was walking around with a dead person's hair inside a ring on my finger, but I don't think so at all. I think it was magical, in some strange way, that I had that connection to someone in the past.

I bought the ring when I was in London and spent a lot of money on it. I know a bit about jewelry and jewelry history, and so I knew I was buying a quality piece. It's one of the few pieces of "real" jewelry that I own. Or owned. And it is the only one that I bought for myself. Everything else I have was given to me as a gift.

I am so sad that it is gone.

I hope it turns up.

I think I'll go lay in bed and be depressed now.

-h

2 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

So St. Anthony is the patron saint of lost things, and to invoke his aid, you can use this little rhyme:

Tony, Tony turn around. What was lost must now be found.

I usually repeat 3 times and usually, it helps me find the lost item.

Good luck!

Charby said...

I haven't seen It i'm afraid.
Sorry!
Most of my stuff shows up down the back of the settee or under my bed, looked there?