Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Good News for Blogging!

Yay! I arrived here at BigSis and Bro-in-Law's apartment about 40 minutes ago, and I just plugged in my laptop and realized there's free wireless internet! Hooray! My boredom has been alleviated by my ability to obsessively blog all afternoon, should I so deisre.

That said, here's a weird blogging coincidence. A while back I went to look on the NYC bloggers website where you can find fellow bloggers in your area by subway station. Anyway, I started reading a blog every now and then called Bridget Unnel, Girl but haven't been over there for a few weeks. This time around, I recognized one of her commenters as one of Flash's frequent commenters--none other than Adamant! I guess the point is--it's a small blog world after all.

I'd also like to mention that my early morning drunkeness has completely worn off. (Thank God!) That said, as I was stumbling towards the subway this morning, some guy kept staring at me--no, not in a creepy way, and no, not in a "sexy" way; but rather, it was in a "do I know you from somewhere?" way. So I stared back and smiled and he eventually approached me.

"Didn't you go to Columbia?" he asked, tentatively.

"Um, yeah..."

"Hyde?"

"Yeah..."

"Martin!"

"Oh! Hey! How are you?"

Now I'm not sure exactly how I know him, but as soon as he said his name, I know that I knew him back then. I think he was friends with B or something. Or was it Contessa? I know that he majored in English Lit and that he was teaching the last I heard of him. He used to be a skinny awkward thing but doesn't look that way at all anymore.

"So what are you up to these days?" I asked.

"Working at Deutsches Bank," he said, gesturing to his tie.

He seemed kind of embarassed about that.

"And you?"

"Ever the student," I replied. "Working on my PhD and teaching undergrad as I go."

"Wow... That's great."

Our banter went on like that for a little while.

"So where are you off to now?" he asked. (Keep in mind, I was in sweats and a ratty T-shirt. I certainly didn't bother sprucing up to go sit in an empty apartment.)

"Well, today is a day off for me," I said.

"A day off? I wonder what that's like!"

I felt sad when he said that. He looked a lot older than I remembered him--not at all like a gangly intellectual boy anymore, but all filled out like a man, and in a stiff suit and tie. It was strange. He said that he lived right in the area, so I told him that I'm always at Cheers and that he should stop by sometime. I wonder if he could tell that I was drunk. Believe it or not, I was a bit of a rascal back in college too, so I'm sure that even if he could tell, he wasn't too surprised.

Anyway, that's it for now. Expect a few more entries out of me today, as I'm too tired to do school work right now, but sort of bored out of my mind. (And you all know how much I love to write!)

As an aside-- I'm going to try to count the times that I think of Narc today (for longer than a fleeting thought--long enough to check myself and realize I'm doing it). He's still in Greece. Heading to Venice tomorrow. A documentation of my obsessiveness. So far, I'm up to 3.

later...

-h

6 comments:

sunshine said...

alrighty...

I think you need to give "the stiff" a name, because I can GUARENTEE you will be seeing him again.

Could this be the man that takes you mind off of Narc?

Anonymous said...

BUS PICTURE: 42ND street. What's my prize?

Hyde said...

NDN--you need to tell me what the cross streets are! Everyone knows the 104 goes down Broadway and across 42nd. Please be more specific.

Flash said...

Let's hope sunshine's right, eh?

Anonymous said...

Have fun in NYC

Mike Davis said...

Ah ha, yes. It was me! And now I'm here, too.