Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Library

To answer Mr. Mystic's question (from the comments section on my last post), it's definitely a Jekyll day.

I'm in the library with Hammer up at Columbia. I'm readng about the Sicilian population boom from 1868-1890 and she's reading about "Sex After Fascism." Hers seems a lot more interesting. I just glanced over my shoulder and there are some interesting pictures in her book. (Some bondage picture with a woman and snakes??? Oh wait... It's an anti-Semitic cartoon...) Mine is filled with a lot of charts and tables. Oh well....

Last night I had a great time hanging out with Bezoukhoff. We had some interesting discussions about Lenin's corpse, among other things. Another highlight of the night? We saw a prostitute in the bar. She was definitely working the crowd and was turning quite a few heads. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe she figured that with all of the "world leaders" in the neighborhood, she might score someone with money. I don't know, but Bezoukhoff and I had a few good laughs about it...

This morning I was late getting out of my house and when I exited onto the street, I was reminded of all of that UN crap. (Don't mean to sound cyncial about it, but it's really annoying when it's on your block!) There were about 30 police officers on motorcycles having some little meeting on my corner and I had to steer my way through them and around the big cement blocks that have been put out. It's chaos. Maybe I'll take a picture one of these days so you can see what I'm talking about.

It was muggy out today and I fucking HATE the subway, but I didn't have any other alternatives with all of the traffic. So I took the subway uptown to meet Hammer. When I arrived (40 minutes late), she was talking to some strange girl sitting on a bench. I can't quite put my finger on what was strange about this girl, but she just was. I thought Hammer knew her, but it turns out they had just met. The girl just moved to NY from TX to start a grad program here.

While we were making chit chat, my phone rang. It was B.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Where are you?" he asked. "At Columbia?"

"Yeah..."

"In the library?"

"No. On college walk. Where are you?"

"I'm there too! I'm sitting on the steps and I'm with my parents!"

To give you guys some background, I met B's mom once but that was six years ago when she came to NY for his graduation. I've never met his dad, although we spoke once on the phone four years ago. I know so much about them, and I'm sure they know so much about me. I mean, we've been best friends for nine years now and were together for three years and even lived together for two. They're here because B's brother is starting at Harvard this fall and they came to the States to drop him off and to finally see where B lives, etc. Of course, I HAD to meet them, but it's a little weird as I no longer have "girlfriend" status, and he does have an actual other girlfriend. (We have a very strange triangle thing going on, but it's too much to get into right now). I was supposed to have lunch with his parents on Friday, but wasn't expecting to see them sooner, so it totally caught me off guard to know that they were just steps away.

I stood up on the bench where we were sitting and waved my arms. B spotted me and waved back so I headed over to them. It was definitely an awkward meeting. His mom seemed a little uncomfortable, to say the least, but I tried to be as smiley and friendly and casual and open as possible to ease the tension. His dad shook my hand and said that it was good to meet me "after all these years!" I'm glad I got to see them. Last week, B was acting like he felt weird about it, but he was beaming today and I know that it made him happy. I'm his family over here and they're his family over there, and so it was a necessary meeting in some sense.

Anyway, after that, Hammer and I had lunch at Ollies and then pit-stopped at Starbucks, where she thought she got some bad milk in her cappucino.

Now we're in the library trying to work. As you can see, I'm procrastinating a little. Well... a lot. So I better get back to it now. On to the next chapter. It's called "Coitus Interruptus." Maybe this book will get a little sexier. I can only hope. I'm still jealous of Hammer's reading.

-h-

6 comments:

sunshine said...

Hi Hyde,

I actually am beginning to miss you. I have tried to call a couple of times and this is my child free weekend, so you might not catch me this weekend. Perhaps I'll get lucky the next time I call.

I'm so happy you finally got to meet the Mr and Mrs B. It sounds like it was the right place at the right time. Wish I could put a face to B. Frustrating sometimes.

Glad to see you posts are more uplifting, Keep up the great work.

You do ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Hyde-
In regards to all the police presence on our block due to the Annual UN Summit, ie, the road block, the police checkpoint booth, the concrete blocks on the sidewalk, and all the officers....I LOVE IT! I REVEL IN IT! Maybe it's b/c of my "attention whore" status but I actually look forward to it. It makes me feel all important. Not just anyone can get onto our block this week, only people who have a purpose. It shows that I have a purpose. So, I guess in a way this validates me as a human being.

feitclub said...

I find any increase in police presence to be unsettling. Not that I object to seeing an officer or two in the subway (that's actually on the soothing side) but when I see any "en masse" show of "security" I feel anything but.

The last time I went to my hometown Metro-North station there were soldiers, complete with camoflage (sp?) and machine guns. That doesn't make me feel safe, it makes me feel like I'm in danger!

Anonymous said...

Dan,
I agree with you to some extent. It's interesting though, b/c as Americans, this is a new phenomena for us. Meanwhile the rest of the world is used to seeing their police forces walking around with AK-47s. It still throws me off a bit each time I see it, but I get more and more used to it. Interestingly, I bet that tourists visiting the area for the first time, aren't phased by it in the least.

Flash said...

Just out of curousity Hyde, where are B & his folks from?

Hyde said...

The Philippines. All the way on the other side of the world! (In fact, it's a 12 hour time difference from NY!)

:)