Thursday, September 01, 2005

E-mail Follies

A friend of mine (who wishes to remain anonymous) recently sent a stupid email. (Or at least she feels stupid about it). She met a guy online and exchanged a few e-mails with him before they formally met at a party. They didn't quite hit it off. She was left feeling unsettled and today sent him the following letter:

She wrote:

Hey ---------,

thanks for the glass of champagne. I hope you had fun at your party. I needed to say that I got the feeling that I was burdening you or holding you back from "crowd surfing" that you were doing the other night. You seem to really want a girlfriend, which is cool. I am not quite at the "wanting-a-boyfriend" point. I think I really needed to say that I felt very uncomfortable the other night, when you whispered to some other girls while we were talking. It made me want to run away fast in the other direction. I am sorry that I called your party "snobby" or if you felt I was not pretty enough for you. I got the feeling that you were judging me so much, and you were looking for more makeup, or more breasts, or a more party-girl. All I know is, I'm just me-- I'm into making new friends, I'm not necessarily seeking l'homme de ma vie, and I felt that I needed to tell you that there was a certain degree of tension that I just wanted to be blunt about.

that's all, and thanks,

-Hyde's friend

His Response:

Dear Friend of Hyde,

Reading these few words fills me with great sadness. You cannot judge a person after a 2mn talk. You cannot judge a person who is receiving 600 guests and taking care of each one of them in addition of the organization of the event. But if it's what you think or feel, I'm not even trying to convince you of the contrary. I did not "judge" you, because I do not know you and you do not know me either. But what I can tell is that you take things far too seriously.

Enjoy the rest of your summer

-xxxxx

So that's that. I told her to let it go. Just scrap it! On to bigger and better, right? Aren't we all?

-H-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a shame that some people can't see beauty...and most only look for it on the surface.

Anonymous said...

The party host is right in this situation.

sunshine said...

I agree w/ NDN.

I have written emails similiar to that, but I have since tried to bite my tongue.

Obviously your friend is amazing and she knows it and in time some amazing guy will too....this one....his loss.

Anonymous said...

she sounds like an over-analyzer, and if she really is so hot, then she shouldn't care about what tall french dorks think.

Hyde said...

She's an amazing girl and she is beautiful and I agree. She shouldn't care at all what French dorks think. Smart girls are always over-analyzers. It's part of the charm. By the way, I recently found out-- Oc was at that party too!