Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Two (or more) Thoughts

On "Art for Art's Sake":

"By the very fact of standing for life, art separates us from it. That is why, when art became detached from other values and became a value in itself, it produced in its devotees that sense of eternal spectatorship which in turn nurtured introversion."

-Carl Schorske

AND

No, Elvis-- How great THOU art!


love,
h

PS: I feel sick again today. Shit. I got home from teaching and took a three hour nap. (Napping always makes me think of VJ!) I would have slept longer, but I made myself get up for fear that I'd never get to sleep tonight otherwise.

PPS: Narc invited me to watch Idol last night (I didn't go) and he gave me a special ringtone on his new cell phone-- "Light my Candle" from Rent. I thought it was cute.

PPPS: I wonder how Hammer's doing right now...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

im ok.....
love hammer

Anonymous said...

Fuck you, Hyde. I have been up ALL DAY TODAY! Haha. Do you remember when I said that to you in an exasperated, whiny, feel-sorry-for-me groan in college and then you reminded me that most people have been up all day? That wasn't the sympathetic comment I was going for. Thanks for letting me down. I still haven't forgotten that. So fuck you again.
-VJ

Hyde said...

Ah, VJ! So the tables have turned! Don't you miss when the big event of the day was venturing outside to get lunch together?

HistoryGeek said...

Naps are good!

Sarah said...

Hey Hyde,

Sorry I've missed the chance to meet up for a drink while I'm here - but it was a nice thought! I'm buggering off tomorrow so no more scares about dodgy NY lurkers!

Hope you're feeling better soon (oh yes - and a big hug from ST, which he asked to be passed on if we managed to cross paths!)

Anonymous said...

Art cycle babble, it never ends....what I find interesting about the babble is that mostly it comes from artists and they know they're talking shit....but the layman always falls for it.