Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Letter from Anxious and a Question

A Letter from Anxious:

The writing in boldface is hers. The italicized text is excerpts from an email that I sent to her. The code-names "Hipster" and "Pioneer" (her name for BulgarianGuy) are her terms that she casually threw into the email even though I don't use those names with her and have never heard them before. What reason does she have to be using codes in a personal email? Kind of strange... Anyway, does anyone else see what is so quintessentially "Anxious" about this letter? Do you see her passive competitiveness?

*******************************************************

HI!!

Sorry I've been such a flake getting back to you!

No worries...figured you were busy and predicted you'd check in at some point, and I was right!

I thought of you at choir practice last night b/c at the end of the Shostakovich piece, we all have to start dancing around in glee. It's like your dream choir performance!

OOHHH!! That sounds like so much fun!!! And did you know Shostakovich is my favorite composer???

Did you go to JKid's thing? Was it fun?

Well, I intended to go, but on the late side -- the Hipster and I spent the day at Ikea so I needed to come back, unpack stuff, shower, change, etc. I got to the Lower East Side about 11:30 and the Hipster called and said everyone had had a drink and left early, and the second half the the party was going to be at a notoriously raunchy gay bar (called Cock...subtle!) and nobody was going to that except gay men. So I ended up missing it and just met up with the Hipster and the Pioneer for drinks. They knew I was feeling nostalgic about having met them both a year ago, and they like each other a lot anyhow, although the Hipster keeps complaining that when we go out together, especially if I'm all dressed up and showing cleavage, everyone thinks I'm his hot date and he has no chances with women!

My life has been chaotic b/c I've been sick for about a week and a half.

Sick again?? Oy, you need more sleep! Me too. Did I tell you I had strep recently? I was totally knocked out for a week and half as well, and I kept on promising people I'd do things in "a day or so" and not getting better. I got way behind on work, since I didn't feel like talking (shocking!) or interviewing ANYBODY.

At the same time I've had to give (and grade midterms).

I have a midterm horror story. There's this one class I've been really struggling in. Well, I studied like crazy and felt I aced the midterm. I was shocked and delighted because I figured the teacher would finally see I was smart and could speak Spanish after all. Well, her car was broken into and her briefcase stolen with about half the midterms ungraded -- mine among them. Not only do I have to redo the test (arduous!), but she'll never know, now that it's take home, how well I did the first time with no help/texts/dictionaries etc. Urk.


Plus, I had three dates on last Thursday (don't ask... but it was the usual-- Narc, Stallion and then the new guy). Whatever... chaos seems to like me (or vice versa)

You spicy thing, you! ;) Personally I think multiple men is a good idea. I always said I needed two husbands and at the moment I have them. BulgarianGuy's always working late, so I go out for long, leisurely dinners with wine with the Hipster. We shop for furniture, do brunch, go shopping, go to concerts -- the usual couple-y stuff, much of which Bulgi is not interested in (shopping, etc.). Except we don't sleep together, so that's where things diverge, but honestly I've got no interest in sleeping with him anyhow. :)

This weekend I'm headed to LI to see my stepbrother and then I've got my concert on Sunday, but maybe we can meet up this week or something?

Why don't we do lunch? I am back working at the German bank which is about four blocks from your house. And my boss is away Tues. through Thurs., so I'm pretty flexible. Let me know about lunch. I can catch you up on my nutty life -- I just moved, and did I tell you about the Natalie situation? It's a lulu, as my mother would say.

Love,
A

**************************
Oh, and here's my question...

Would you rather be in love with someone and have it be totally unreciprocated or would you rather have someone be in love with you and have it be totally unreciprocated?

(I can't remember who I just had this conversation with... Hammer or NDN or someone else. But there it is...)

-h-

4 comments:

feitclub said...

I've had far too much of the former so I'd like to try the latter for a change.

Sarah663 said...

"Anything you can do, I can do better, I can do anything better than you!" Sheesh, she's relentless.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I LOVE Anxious stories. You should make up a friendship crisis and ask for her advice. Tell her you have an ordinary-looking friend who has saggy titties and an annoyingly high voice that makes everyone want to slap her. Explain that you feel bad for this friend because she is so insecure that she feels compelled to tell you all about a fantasy life that she has invented in which she is devastatingly beautiful and popular and wild. See what she says.
VJ

Jessica said...

VJ! You're hilarious! Now go on and comment on my blog too.

About H's big Q: I would much rather have him love me and no reciprocate. But knowing my past, I think that I would have sex with him out of guilt anyways.