Wednesday, November 09, 2005

O sink hernieder, Nacht der Liebe

I'm feeling calm today. Once again, I hardly got any sleep last night, and I'm shocked that my body is still operational, but here I am. Tired and calm.

Yesterday was murder to get through. I taught two classes, headed to the East Side for my Holocaust class, headed back to the West Side, caught a few minutes of BarMan's volleyball game (his league moves around and happened to be using the gym at the school where I teach) and then I taught another class before coming home to the East Side. Teaching was especially fun yesterday, as I brought in music samples for them--Mozart (which we used to discuss the aesthetics of the Enlightenment), Beethoven (which we used to discuss Romanticism), and Schoenberg's Erwartung (which we used to discuss Expressionism and the anxiety of the Fin-de-Siecle moment). I wrote my Master's thesis on Erwartung, so it was great to watch the expressions of surprise and discomfort on my students' faces as they heard it for the first time.

I was on the verge of collapse when I got home. I talked to Hammer on the phone for a long time when I, out of the blue, got a text from Narc. (I wasn't expecting to hear from him until later in the week).

Here's how our text conversation went:

Narc: Out? (11:32 pm)

Hyde: Long day. I'm home. What about you? (11:39 pm)

Narc: Just back in. May kill a bottle of wine. Must get up early, but... Hmm... (11:42 pm)

Hyde: I've got therapy at 9:30. How early do you have to be up? (11:45 pm)

Narc: Wow. "Evita" is a bad movie... (11:46 pm)
Narc (again): Self-imposed earliness. Need a drink though. (11:47 pm)

Hyde: Yeah, but I liked it for "sentimental" reasons. Madonna is no Pati Lupone though. I need to be in bed 2:30 latest. Had a late night last night. What do you think? (11:49 pm)

Narc: Nightcap? This wine is dead. Got anything? (11:51 pm)

Hyde: Nope. I'm on empty. But I could pick something up. Red or white? (11:54 pm)

Narc: Red. Chianti or the like (11:55 pm)

Hyde: Leaving in 5... (12:15 am)

Narc: K. (12:17 am)

(Then, at the store)

Hyde: All I see is cab & merlot (12:26 am)

Narc: I am NOT drinkin' merlot... (grin) (12:27 am)

Hyde: :) (12:28 am)

Anyway, I didn't get there until about 1:15 or so. I wore my new coat and some of the new clothes my mom just bought me, so I felt very pretty. Yay! (I've been feeling like such a bum and in such a rut lately, that it was a nice change). I was SO tired. Narc and I watched the end of Evita and drank the wine. We just hung out and talked about a lot of different things. At one point, we were talking about the film Titanic (I think we were on the topic of "historical films") and I told him that when I was a kid, I had read a book that had almost the same exact plot as the movie. I was sure James Cameron swiped his story from the book. Narc was intrigued and insisted we find the book online. When we found it, he was really excited. I thought it was cute.

Narc was smoking a lot of cigarettes. I ended up falling asleep on the couch at around 2:15. The next thing I knew, a naked Narc was waking me up to bring me into the bedroom. I have no clue what time it was, but I set my cell phone alarm for 7:30 am and climbed in next to him. He gave me his stuffed penguin to sleep with. I thought it was a little strange. It's the second time he's done that. It's definitely a gesture of something nurturing, so it's sweet, but it's weird and I'm not quite sure where to file that one away. Anyway, I fell asleep in two seconds flat.

This morning I woke up, once again, feeling like hell (as I have been operating on virtually no sleep for the past week now). I stayed in bed with Narc for as long as I could before I had to get up. I didn't want to be late for therapy.

Anyway, today it's very grey outside. (Grey and Dreary, Deary!) But I'm looking forward to tonight. B's birthday is coming up on Monday, and as a gift, I bought us tickets to an amazing recital at Avery Fischer Hall-- Deborah Voigt and Ben Heppner. The program is a little Beethoven and a lot of Wagner. Yay! It's going to be fabulous! I'm getting more excited just thinking about it now.

Anyway, I guess that's it for the moment.

:)

-h-

7 comments:

sunshine said...

Well Now B won't be surprised if he reads this. Unless he already knows he's going.

A night w/ alcohol, naked Narc and NO SEX???????

Who posted this? What did you do with Hyde?

Just kidding. Glad you had a good nights rest...kinda.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

Flash said...

i have to confess I really liked Titanic.
I cried.

Anonymous said...

I think you might be on the same course as the Titanic Hyde.

Charby said...

Narcs right Evita is poopoo!

*Has a little giggle at Flash conviently forgetting the lump in her own throat at it*

feitclub said...

I too readily admit to being a Titantic-lover, although I certainly didn't cry (snickers at Flash). I'm sure that book having the exact same plot as the major-motion picture is just a coincidence. Let's never speak a discouraging word about James Cameron again...

DId Sideways turn Narc off to merlot or was he always against it? I'm still such a wine-retard I can't tell the difference between any of them. All I know is white goes with chicken & fish and red goes with beef. I learned that lesson early in life by watching From Russia with Love.

Hyde said...

Flash-- I cried too. (So, go ahead and laugh, Charbs!) I've seen the movie a million times despite the atrocious screenplay (sorry Dan-- Cameron can't write dialogue), but even so, I cry every time. (Then again, I tend to cry with little provocation...)

-h

HistoryGeek said...

I also cried at Titanic...and while Jim Cameron has his many faults, I am a big fan of his (someday I will wax poetic over the tragic early demise of Dark Angel.