Thursday, November 02, 2006

Omens

On Monday, I saw peacock in the street... I was convinced that it was an omen.






I told Narc about it-

He wrote back: Peacocks generally represent ostentation...do they not? Perhaps, then, not the most profound omen...!

Hyde: This one was white. And its feathers seemed to be made of lace. It was like a whisper. I can't imagine it was ostentatious. I'll have to mediate on it to figure it out.

Then, I emailed him:

Hey Narc,

First of all-- I bought a giant (and I mean GIANT) gold buddha head. It's cool. I was impulsive, but I love it. I think you will appreciate it. I'll send you a picture later.

And on my peacock--

The peacock as an omen is apparently a bad thing. So, I've decided not to be superstitious. But here's what else I found out...

The peacock is a Greek and Roman symbol of fidelity.

In Christian imagery, the tail of the peacock, with its 'thousand eyes' are symbolic of omnipotence and often ascribed to the ArchangelMichael.

In Indian culture, it's a symbol of love, passion, luck, protection and prosperity

But here's the funniest one--

The peacock symbolized the incorruptibility of Christ because, according to an ancient belief codified by Isidore, its flesh is so hard that it does not putrefy. St. Augustine of Hippo put this belief to the test. Roast peacock was served at dinner in Carthage, and he ordered the meat from the breast to be put aside. After thirty days, he found that there was no bad smell. After a year, the peacock's flesh had become only a little desiccated.

"Dessicated peacock flesh?" I love google.

Talk to you later,
Hyde

His reply: And let us not forget: sometimes a peacock is just a peacock...

Of course that would be his reply. I should have guessed...

PS: Here's a picture of the buddha head I bought.

6 comments:

feitclub said...

In the street? Really? I've never seen a white one before.

Charby said...

why on earth was there a peacock?

White ones always seems more ghostly than normal ones.
Horrible call though!

Cody Bones said...

Trust me, the sooner you cut all ties with narc, the happier you will be with the rest of your life. Go live the rest of it.

Aravis said...

I agree with you- that peacock's gorgeous! The Buddha head is very cool, too.

I recently read or saw a reference to the peacock in another culture in which one of the gods suspected his (or her, I can't remember now) spouse of infidelity. The peacock was set to watch over the spouse with all of those beautiful eyes...

Hyde said...

We were up by Columbia, and of course-- the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. In my "peacock research" I learned that St. John has a "peacock garden," so I'm sure that my omen escaped from there...

Anyway, I am SUPER behind in my blogging now. And I saw Narc again... Lots to write. But I have to grade midterm exams. So I'll be back when I can...

-h-

feitclub said...

Just give everyone a B+, that'll be fair.