Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Evaluation

Yay for me! I was observed teaching on Tuesday morning, and here's the evaluation. (The senior professor just emailed it to me). Feeling good about things for once. Must get back to work now, though. I'm at the library, still sludging through that crazy work schedule!

I observed Professor Hyde's History 231.18 class on Tuesday, October 19, 2005, at 9:40 am. Professor Hyde began class with attendance, distributing mid-term exam review sheets, and reminders to the students that a review for the exam would be held the following class.

The topic for the day was the Middle Ages in Europe. Professor Hyde identified four themes that she wanted to cover that day: the emergence of Europe, the development of the feudal system, the agricultural revolution, and the consolidation of the power of the Christian Church.

Professor Hyde began with a review of the causes for the break up of the Roman Empire, which then led her into a discussion of the formation of the Frankish Kingdoms, Charlemagne being crowned as Holy Roman Emperor, and the defeat of his successors in the face of 'barbarian' invasions. She noted how the common culture and identity that bound these lands under the Franks helped form the first concept of Europa.

In her discussion of feudalism, Professor Hyde highlighted the greater authority of the nobility, with the decline of central authority, and the mutual dependence and benefit that characterized social and political relationships at this time. For instance, kings and nobles, nobles and vassals, and nobles and the peasantry were all bound together for specific reasons, which she ably discussed.

Professor Hyde then moved on to a discussion of the agricultural revolution, and noted how a variety of innovations allowed Europe to move beyond a society of subsistence agriculture. She carefully explained these innovations, specifically, the three field system, the use of water and wind mills, developments in animal breeding, and the use of new tools.

Professor Hyde finished her class with a discussion of the consolidation of the power of the Christian Church. She first reviewed the birth of Christianity, the quest for orthodoxy, and the organization of the Church through its bishops, with the Pope being the head of the Church. She then detailed how the Church consolidated its power through the Crusades, acting as the mobilizing agent of European forces to help the Byzantine Empire resist Turkish Muslim encroachment into Jerusalem.

Professor Hyde ended her class with requests for questions and further reminders for the review that was scheduled for the next class.

My overall impression of the class is a very positive one. It was well organized and covered a great deal of information clearly. Professor Hyde's use of the blackboard was frequent and effective. Most importantly, she frequently interjected her lectures with questions to the class regarding a particular point she wanted to emphasize. Answers were often forthcoming from the students, and when the class fell silent, Professor Hyde deftly coaxed the information she needed from the group, and then proceeded with her material.

7 comments:

HistoryGeek said...

I love that your use of the blackboard was frequent and effective!

That's great, Hyde!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. you deftly coaxed the information... hmmm! That sounds, well, kind of ....?

feitclub said...

I can't even understand the evaluation, so I guess that means I'd fail your class. Congratulations to you though! Out of curiosity (no judgements), were you well-rested for this class or were you on Red Bull? If it's the latter, that's pretty funny.

I also love "Professor Hyde," that sounds cool. If you ever change the name of this blog you should incorporate that.

Charby said...

Congratulations "Professor Hyde"!!

swisslet said...

yay for you, Professor. And extra points for being a medievalist as well!

Tell me, are you a gutsherrschaft or a grundherrschaft kind of a girl?

ST

Hyde said...

ST-

In my imagined vision of myself, I'd have to say more Gutsherrschaft; however, the reality is probably more Grundherrschaft. (If that makes any sense at all...)

That said, sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a medievalist! I'm a modernist all the way. I'll probably end up writing on something from 1880s-1930s. It's one of the reasons teaching the survey course on the Ancient World to the Reformation is a little tricky for me. I teach one section of that class. The other two classes I teach are the second half of the survey-- Enlightenment to the present, which I have to say, I know much better!

:)

-h

Flash said...

Yay for Professor Hyde!