Thursday, May 25, 2006

"And How Does That Make You Feel?"

(I know, I know... Third post in less than 24 hours! And I said that I had lost the urge to blog? Guess not...)

I've been spending a lot of time in therapy. I think it's a good thing. I can already feel myself changing. Last night I enjoyed choir practice.

Today after group, I walked my new friend over to where his sister's car was parked-- a not so nice part of Alphabet City. There were a lot of homeless people around. He had to pee, so he went on the side of a tree while I kept guard. Someone had nailed a sign to the tree.

"If you steal cars here, you will be hanged!" it read.

A rusty spike kept the sign in place. Hanging from that spike was a long white noose. It was creepy.

My new friend (still blog-nameless) drove me back to my place. While I was in the car with him, I got a text message from Narc.

Let me back up a sec--

I saw Narc on Tuesday night and he was very depressed. He had been out at a party with two friends of his--both girls. One of them I had never heard of before. I asked him who she was and he said "just a friend... whatever..." and he shrugged it off beyond that.

The next day I was thinking of him in the morning, so I wrote, asking him how his day was going, and he responded with those texts about the ducks at the duck pond. As you all know, I wrote to him again asking him if he wanted to meet up later. He never responded.

Then, today, I got a text from him. But for you to get this, you need a little more context:

One of my absolutely most favorite summer activities is to ride a speed boat called "The Beast." The ride is offered by the Circle Line company, and every summer since they started offering the ride (in 2000), I have gone as many times as possible. (The last time I went on was with B in September). Anyway, I've been telling Narc about it for the past two summers and suggested several times that we go. We've never gone.

So, today, at 1:57 pm, he sent me a text: About to ride the Beast!!!

Why would he do that? Who is he with? I know he's with another girl. He knows that I know he's with another girl. Why would he write that to me? What does he have to gain? What kind of response is he trying to illicit?

"And how does that make you feel, Hyde?"

My first feeling was anxiety and obsession.

I wanted to write back right away and tell him to "have fun." I wanted to cement the fact that I am still here. That "we're" still here. That he wrote to me because he's sharing with me. That he wrote to me because he's thinking of me, and that's something, right?

But my new friend told me not to write back.

So I sat with it for a moment.

"And how does that make you feel, Hyde?"

It makes me feel rejected.
It makes me feel frustrated.
It makes me feel unworthy.
It makes me feel anxious and like I want to try harder.
It makes me feel angry?
It makes me feel sad.

I feel very, very rejected. And very, very sad.

Oh, and another thing-- I sure don't feel like myself lately.

love,
h

10 comments:

shorty said...

I'm dumb, I thought the new friends name was "brick"...now it could be "POT" for Pee on a Tree....Ok, that's gay, and he's your friend, so you get to name him.

Can I call you yet? Since it's free now and all?

Hyde said...

"Brick" is the name of the character in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." That's what that stuff was quoted from. Yes, you can call me, but today I'm swamped. I have to grade a million papers and hand them back to students tomorrow, so I really won't be able to talk. And then I'm having dinner with my friend Nipkins tonight. But we should definitely talk this weekend!!!

:)

h

feitclub said...

Honestly, he knows the Beast means something to you so he's telling you that he's going to ride it. That's it. From his perspective, I'd wager he thinks he's being attentive, but he clearly didn't consider your desire to ride it with him.

Flash said...

Dan's right.
Shit, i'm stoned.

Charby said...

I like this guy, he sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

Shorty, I thought Brick was his blog name too.

Anonymous said...

Hyde-
I don't know how I ever lived without this razr phone. People ask me why I have a pink one and I tell them it's because my neighbor and I are twins and that we have the exact same one.

Hyde said...

NDN-- I think the Razr conversation has reached its saturation point. If you'd like to continue to discuss it, we can do so in person and not here on the blog. I'm still glad you wanted to be twins with me though.

:)

h

Hyde said...

PS: In terms of my new friend-- Since two of you thought his name was Brick, I'm thinking that's not such a bad idea. I think I'll call him "Brick" from now on.

shorty said...

Yay! Now I have that song "Brick House" stuck in my head. Great.

I tried to call you before I read your blog, sorry. I'll be free Sunday afternoon and most of Monday, so if you're free give me a ring...I'm beginning to feel like a stalker : )

It sounds like you are keeping busy in a positive way these days and that's great. Plus now Dan is back and that's one more positive person rooting for you in your home town.

Don't forget you are still welcome to hang here when you want for a weekend.