Monday, May 01, 2006

I don't know what to say...

A friend of mine's brother is in jail for murder as of last night. The murder took place up at Albany (Dan-- it was a student area, so you'll probably catch wind of it, I'm sure). I have a lot of details from my friend, and if they are true, this is a horrible tragedy. I hung out with the "murderer" on several occasions. I'm not sure what to think right now, so I can't say more. This guy was a good guy-- a chivalrous guy who served over in Iraq for quite some time. He was polite and kind and decent the few times that I met him. He was going back to school to get himself a future.

I am feeling all mixed up right now. This fucking sucks.

-h-

5 comments:

feitclub said...

Are you mixed up because you don't believe he did it or you can't believe someone you thought was nice is a murderer?

Hyde said...

I believe that he did it. He's the type to get in bar fights...(as is his brother). And from what I know, a bunch of guys confronted him (he was working on the side as a bookie). It turned into a fist fight, the guy who ended up dead pulled a knife, and then the guy I know fought him and twisted the knife and stabbed it back into the kid who died. That's the story I heard from his brother, but it fits with the police report that the kid died from just one stab wound. Then he hid out for 14 hours, but then went to the crime scene and turned himself in. He's not a bad guy. I don't know what to think just because I don't know how to process all of this-- and to process the fact that this guy who I've spoken to-- who has been a sweetheart to me-- has taken a life. I'm freaked out.

Aravis said...

My heart goes out to you, your friend, your friend's brother and his victim. It does sound like a horrible tragedy. This friend spent a lot of time in the military. Perhaps this created a sort of disconnect so that in a "combat" situation he just reacted. I don't know. I'm just so sorry for all involved.

Best wishes!

feitclub said...

So wouldn't that be self-defense? Or is that not a factor in your opinion? I don't know the details of the situation but I don't know what I would do if someone threatened me with a knife; if I thought it was "him or me." Then again, I guess there's always the option of walking away...

Hyde said...

Aravis-- thanks.

Dan-- yeah, I guess that would be self-defense. But it's still unclear what happened. This account was from his brother and his brother was drunk. And it just happened. They say he's up for 25-life, but I'm sure that they will plead it down b/c it is a first offense and he's military, etc...

-h-