Friday, May 05, 2006

He's Here!

So, I think Flash had a good time last night! I know I did...

It's strange... normally on Friday afternoons I hang out in my office after teaching and write frighteningly lengthy posts to catch you all up on the week's events. This week, however, I'll be heading home straight after teaching. Flash will be at Cheers watching the soccer game. (Or should I say football?)

Anyway, as you all know I was exceedingly cranky yesterday in the morning. I was in the doctor's waiting room for over an hour just to have some blood drawn and then I ended up in a tearful fight with B. My house wasn't sufficiently clean, I felt bleary and teary and gross and then Flash called and said that he was at Penn Station. How strange to hear an actual live voice!

I did my best to pull myself together in time to meet my guest. When he arrived, the doorman buzzed me.

"A Mr. Flash here to see you."

Mr. Flash!

He was as I expected, as I've had the benefit of seeing his picture. But for him, I was a mystery revealed! We hung out at my apartment for a while and had a smoke (and I served him a very old beer. It was all that I had!). One of the strangest things during that conversation was learning the "real names" of all the blog characters on both of our blogs. Flash especially didn't think that Narc's name suited him!

Then we decided to get out and go for a walk around the neighborhood. On our way out of the building, we were greeted by my Super who had a lot of "NY advice" for our guest. He's a real character, so I'm glad that Flash got to meet him. I walked him down by the UN, up into Tudor City and then over past the Chrysler Building and to Grand Central Station-- the only touristy-type spots in my neighborhood. I think he was mostly happy just to be in NY, with the giant buildings and city energy. He was exhausted from his day of travels, though, so we decided to go back to my place for a bit of rest before the evening's activities.

I talked to VJ on the phone for a while before settling in to watch some TV with Flash. I discovered that I'm not very good at Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and Flash said that I look a little like Lisa Marie Presley, which I liked because I think she looks like her dad and I think he's gorgeous! Hammer was at class and wanted to meet us for dinner, so we made some arrangements with her. She was disappointed that Flash wasn't up for salmon-night, but he is an admittedly "fussy eater." So we went to a diner instead for more traditional fare. (Flash treated us to dinner-- a real gentleman!) The three of us had a great time gossiping about anything and everything (blog related and otherwise) and at around 8:30 decided to head over to Cheers. I wanted Flash's first night here to really be "a la Hyde," despite the fact that I had to get up for teaching the next day. (I think I did a rather good job of that--right, Flash? What did you think?)

At Cheers, he and Hammer and I found some seats at the bar and I introduced him to IrishBird, BarMan, ThursdayGirl, the Bouncer and a slew of other Cheers-regulars. Everyone loved meeting him and everyone loved his name. He was a mini-celebrity! Before long, Bezoukhoff and another friend of ours, EF, came by after their class let out and the five of us settled in at a table towards the back of the bar. Of course, NDN was excited to meet our visitor as well, and stopped by the bar for a little while to make the introductions.

Flash blew us away with his first karaoke song-- U2's "One." And I sang Alanis' "You Oughta Know," as per his request. The drinks kept flowing, and I have to say, I had a great time.

At around 11:30 or so, Hammer and EF took off. She had a paper to work on. Bezoukhoff stayed behind and the three of us hung out and talked for quite a bit longer. There were some random boys from Ohio that I started talking to and I bought us all shots of Jager. At one point KHill came into the bar and I got to point him out to Flash as "the boy who peed on me." (Do you guys remember that? It was the week Narc discovered my blog!)

Anyway, Flash and I sang a few more songs, including a duet that I won't mention here, as he swore he would normally never be caught dead singing anything so cheesy. Then, the bill got mysteriously paid by the two boys, and I felt very lucky indeed, as I've been in a bit of a financial crunch these days.

Back at my place, Flash and I stayed up a bit longer. It was quite fun and a bit of a wild night. Finally, it was to bed at around 2:00 am.

This morning I am feeling the pain, as it's nearly 80 degrees outside and the classrooms I'm teaching in aren't air conditioned. Motherfucker! And I'm really tired. But I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

So that's it for now. If this seems poorly written to you, it's because this post is kind of just tossed off, as I don't have much time to write, but I'll try to stay on top of my blogging schedule!

lots of love to all!
h

4 comments:

shorty said...

I hate you both!

I love you both!

I feel like I'm in prison. I don't think I can read for the rest of Flash's stay. It's way too depressing for me.

:`(

HistoryGeek said...

Hyde & Flash! Look out NY!

feitclub said...

Sounds like I should start reading Flash's blog...seems like a fun guy. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

swisslet said...

ahh... you lucky, lucky people.

**jealous**

ST