Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Something Strange

Even though I drank last night and went to bed filled with self-hatred, I woke up with an opening paragraph for my Italian History paper in my head, and the following song looping round. I quickly wrote out the paragraph, and here's the song. (Perhaps I should make something of it...)



COMES ONCE IN A LIFETIME

From the Broadway Show "Subways Are For Sleeping" (1961)
(Jule Styne / Betty Comden / Adolph Green)

Every day, just go along dawn till sundown
Here's a rundown
Every day that comes, comes once in a lifetime

Take each day and gather the rosebuds in it
Fill each minute
Every day that comes, comes once in a lifetime

Think of now, tomorrow is waiting in the wings
Who knows what it brings
While the future waits, the present swings

Day to day, in Brooklyn or China 'cross the bay
Only once comes this particular sky
Only once these precious hours go by
Only once in a lifetime the day comes by
So live, live, live, live today

Think of now, tomorrow is waiting in the wings
Who knows what it brings
While the future waits, the present swings

From day to day, in Brooklyn or China 'cross the bay
Only once comes this particular sky
Only once these precious hours go by
Only once in a lifetime a day comes by

So live, live, live, come on and live today

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Great song.
I want to hear it sometime.
Once in a while I feel the present very strongly too.
Love, Hammer

Hyde said...

Hammer-- you WILL hear it. Some guy is singing it in my cabaret! Probably why it was in my head...

Hyde said...

Okay, I added a link for the song to play. It's hokey, I know...

Who can name the singer???

:)

h

Anonymous said...

None of you will believe this but I actually ran into Narc on the street today coming back from lunch.
He recognized me.
He said, “Hey, your Hyde’s neighbor, aren’t you?”
NDN: Um, yeah, hi N.
N: Well, um, uh, how’s everything going?
NDN: (Grudgingly accepts the conversation starter) It’s going fine I guess, how about you?
N: Could be better, I’ve been having some money issues lately, I can’t even afford to get this button sewn back on to my shirt and I don’t really know how to sew. (shows me the shirt.)
NDN: Hmm, you know, I’m sure that Hyde wouldn’t mind sewing that on for you, she’s quite skilled as you know.
N: Really? You really think she’d do that for me?
NDN: I’m sure.
N: Cool, well, if you see her before I do, here’s the shirt.
NDN: No problem.

So, Hyde, I have a shirt for you that needs the button sewn back on. I’ll give it to you tonight and to keep things consistent I’ll give it back to N when I see him next.
Sound good?

Hyde said...

Ah, NDN-- you are such a kind soul to take care of Narc like that. Although I don't know how good my button sewing skills are!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha muahhhha ha ha ha ha.

ndn is a real kind soul. But you're sewing the button.

Hyde said...

Yeah, except Narc doesn't live in this neighborhood, he NEVER would have told NDN he was broke or have given him a shirt... And why would NDN take the shirt BACK when he has no reason to ever be in contact with Narc...

I have a feeling NDN needs a button sewn for himself. In fact, I know so...

-h-