Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Taxi Surprise

I noticed a strange phone number on my cell phone's "missed calls" list from Saturday night. There were two calls made-- one placed at 2:37 am, and the other at 2:54 am. As I didn't recognize the number, I took a deep breath this evening and decided to try calling that number back. I HATE blacking out, and can't stand any sort of mystery anymore. A voice-mail picked up, but it was a standard computerized recording and I couldn't tell anything about the person to whom the number belongs. Just now as I arrived home, and sat checking my email, I got a call from that very number.

"Hyde?"

"Um, yeah... Who is this?"

"This is Raza!"

"Who?"

"Raza! The driver..."

"Oh!"

"Did you ever find your phone, Hyde?"

"Yes, yes I did. Thanks so much for your help with that."

"So, Hyde... What are you up to tonight?"

"Mostly work. It's a work night for me. I have to grade a pile of midterms."

"Staying home and working on a beautiful night like this?"

"Well, yeah... Maybe I'll get to go for a walk later or something."

"Are you going to be walking later?"

"Well, probably not... I have a lot of work to do."

"Do you want to get together sometime, Hyde? You have my number?"

"Well, I don't know... If I have some time this weekend, I can give you a call, but I really have to get back to work now."

"Okay, sweetheart. Hope to hear from you."

"Okay, nite."

Honestly you guys--I have no recollection of giving the cabbie my number. I can't even picture what he looks like. Mr. Hyde strikes again. Ughh!

Today was pretty productive both in terms of my personal life and my scholastic life. I had therapy this morning, then went for a pedicure and my waxing. I need to feel fresh and beautiful and unsullied by all of these assholes! Especially now that my sore throat is an ever constant reminder of the violent Stallion. Anyway, after that, I went for a haircut and then to German class with Hammer. We ate at a small cafe afterwards, and I got a lot of my Adorno reading done. Then back home. NextDoorNeighbor and I may meet up for a drink later. (I promise, I'll try to be good...) I miss Narc really badly today though. Don't know why, but I keep thinking of him. Hammer had a dream about me and Narc last night. She said that she dreamt that Narc called me on my phone to "torment" me and she saw him grinning at her while he did it. She reminded me today after German that love is supposed to be "playful and fun." It's a good lesson Hammer--one that I'll have to drill into my brain.

Anyway, I wasn't lying to the taxi-driver. I really do have a tremendous stack of midterms to grade and I promised my students I'd return them tomorrow, so I've gotta run.

lol to all!
hyde

No comments: