Monday, February 27, 2006

A Whole Civilization, Gone with the Wind

Last night I watched all four hours of Gone with the Wind. I absolutely love that movie in spite of its somewhat antiquated conventions. It was epic, and completely transformed my doldrums into a cozy evening at home.

("No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how!")

As I watched last night, I had to wonder-- what makes Scarlett think she's in love with Ashley for all those years?

What about Ashley Wilkes?

I.... I never really loved Ashley.

You certainly gave a good imitation of it, up until this morning.

That is what I'm thinking about today. And I adore Scarlett.

N called me last night at around 11:00. I didn't pick up, so he left a message:

Hey it's me. It's about 11:00 on Sunday. And actually, you're probably in bed and getting to sleep right now if you have to get up at 6:00 in the morning if memory serves. But... Just calling to report that your gift is now officially wrapped. In fact, it's the most perfect wrapping job that there ever was in the history of the world. They have this new wrapping paper that I bought-- the ultimate shiny gold wrapping paper. Well, on the back it's a big grid. It's actually easy to cut. You just cut along the straight lines. I've always been a horrible wrapper, but this stuff... I don't know. I really get along with this wrapping paper. Yes... anyway... I'm going to get up fairly early myself tomorrow. Not at 6:00, but maybe around 8:00 or so and put a long writing block in. If you want to pop by at any point and get your long overdue present, you are more than welcome to. So just give me a holler when you can. Alright. Bye.

I called him back then and there and we spoke for about 20 minutes before I went to bed. I have nothing new to say about all that. Nothing that we don't all already know. No... nothing new to say at all. ("Nothing will ever happen to me again.")

(Scarlett: I only know that I love you. Rhett: That's your misfortune.)

1 comment:

HistoryGeek said...

I am not a big fan of Gone with the Wind. I like a happy ending. I did, however, enjoy the way she made a dress out of her curtains.