Wednesday, February 08, 2006

a little bit of this, a little bit of that

The Pendulum: Today the pendulum has swung to..... Good mood! (What the----!!!) Well, it has. At least I'm in a decent mood... One of life's little mysteries.

I keep sneezing lately. I don't have a cold, but it's annoying.

This morning I left my house at 7:20 am. NDN was leaving at the same time and we bumped into each other right outside my door. He was gracious and helped me carry my laundry to the dry cleaner.

"How many red bulls have you had this morning, Hyde?" he asked.

"Why?"

"Because you're so energized!"

"Actually, none!"

"Any nose candy?"

"No!" I laughed.

Strange... I surprised him. I surprised my friend Singrl last week too. I met her and her fiancee on the steps of the Met Museum.

"Look for a girl with really long red curly hair," she told him.

Well, as you know, my hair is black (or black-ish)... and it's not as long as it was in college-- just past shoulder-length now... and I wear it straight.

Ha!

Yesterday Double-T (alternately spelled TT) sent me a text: Howd the audition go?

(It bothers me that he didn't put an apostrophe in "How'd," even though "How'd" isn't even gramatically correct either. But that's okay. I shouldn't be such a texting grammar-Nazi.)

Anyway, I wrote back to him: Thanks for remembering! :) It went really well, except the class might be full. I have to wait & hear... But at least I know I sang well!

Yesterday I stayed home for most of the day cleaning and being morose. I got into bed really early-- around 11:00 pm. I wanted to get a decent night's sleep, knowing I get up so early on Monday and Wednesday mornings. While I was laying in bed, I got a text from Narc.

Great "Boston Legal!" he wrote.

I wrote back: Yay! DVR'd it. Will watch it tomorrow. Trying to fall asleep but it's impossibly hard this early. Damn you, early morning teaching! Good night & sweet dreams.

Whatever... I don't even want to think about that one. Scrap it!

I also had some strange dreams last night. In one of them, I went to see an opera. It was Carmen, and Elizabeth Berkely (of "Saved by the Bell" and "Showgirls" fame) was starring in the title role. She couldn't really sing and so they had to mic her. (Totally unacceptable!) I was upset and thought she was a fraud. I remember being upset in the dream. I was working for some kind of arts management company that was representing her (much like the company I worked for in my first job out of college) and so I had to go backstage after the concert to meet her. I saw Narc there waiting for Elizabeth Berkely with a big bouquet of roses. He was waiting for her to come out of her dressing room and was listening with his ear at her door. I could hear the "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors" theme song playing from behind the door. I didn't approach him and instead lingered at the other end of the hallway, unsure of what to do.

(FYI-- I never watched that show... Wheeled Warriors is an '80s cartoon. Narc loved it. Once, this past Fall, when he was at my place, we were checking out a retro-tv website and he played the song for me. It's catchy, so it stuck in my head.)

Hmm... It's been 11 days since I've seen him. (Stop it, Hyde!)

Anyway, since I'm in an odd mood today and SwissToni inspired me with requests for refrigerator pictures, I took a few pictures of my highly-decorated kitchen last night. Here they are, for your viewing pleasure.

Below you will find a picture of my cabinets adorned with some hot men (Kiefer, Brando, Newman and Redford. Yay!)






















Next, you will find one of the walls next to my pass-through counter. Of note, the "blood sugar metabolism" flyer that I picked up at the doctor's office. It always makes me crack up to see the look of distress on the "poor-eater's" face, and the chipper smug-smile on that of the "healthy-eater." Also, sitting on top of my toaster is the mate-holder I just bought in Uruguay. (The photo of the three half-naked men is a postcard BigSis and Bro-in-Law just sent me from Florida. It was pretty funny. They wrote: "We're having a totally rad time with Chad, Brett and Brad! Wish you were here!")



























This is the opposite wall of that same pass-through. If you look carefully, there is actually a picture of me! Above the Armenian-Church calendar (still turned to December) there are two women in huge skirts. The sepia-colored picture is a postcard. The picture to its right (of the woman in white with the fuschia fan) is me in my Halloween costume in 1998. There's also a postcard from St. Petersburg hanging to the right and below it, a photo I took of the sculpture outside The Cathedral of St. John the Divine (one of my favorite places in the world), a still life photo (with some Russian beer...mmm.. Baltika) taken in 1998, and a flyer for Domingo & Meier in the Carmen that aired on PBS in '98 or '99. Below the calendar is a tic-tac-toe game that my stepbrother played with me in May. A TRUE miracle!



























Finally, this is the back wall of my kitchen. All of my friends ask if I painted the largest image because it actually looks a lot like the painting that I do. The answer is no. It's a poster I got in France. The rest of the postcards there are too varied to go into, but most of them are from London-- either the V&A Museum or the Tate. A few on the bottom are from the Pavilion in Brighton.






















And that's it! Time to go do something productive now. Hope that wasn't too random...

-h-

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually Hyde I don't KNOW if you have black hair. All we can do is gather that you have black hair from what you've shared with us. Maybe you should post a picture of yourself to confirm?

Anonymous said...

Dear Sister of the Golden Tea Rose:
How dare you refer to that Halloween picture and neglect to share where it was taken? I would love to know more about the artistic genius holding the camera. I'll bet she is some unbearably sexy intellectual titan with whom you were lucky enough to room in the palace of STDs, a red-hot Latina jewel on the testosterone-soaked arm of Pablo Picatto, who likes crime.
Love,
Mysterious Stranger

Anonymous said...

Your apt. seems really cool Hyde.
NDN- Ethiopia was quite an interesting trip. I was visiting family and friends (close cousins of mine moved there for the Peace Corps years ago and never left!) and the only time i had been there before was when i was five.
But to be honest, I don't really feel like Hyde's blog comment section is the right forum to discuss it. It's not very considerate to her as this space is really about her. But you do seem like a cool guy so if you give me your email address I'd be happy to correspond with you.
Nick

Anonymous said...

Your place has almost as much art on the walls as mine.

feitclub said...

That's quite a costume! Thanks for sharing that picture. And Nick, I can say that her apartment is really cool.

HistoryGeek said...

Hello...it's been awhile. Great pictures of the apartment! I don't know why, but I pictured darker wood in your place. Strange.

Hyde said...

Spins-- most of my apartment IS darker. My living room is green (w/purple velvet couches), my bathroom is purple and my bedroom has gold walls and a deep red comforter. Only the kitchen is so bright and white. Oh, and the whole thing is generally decked out in Christmas lights.

NDN-- I have one word for you: GENUG! Hope you get the point.

Dan-- I'm glad you like my apt.

Mystic-- I think you should put up some pictures of yours. It's hard to believe someone else's walls are more covered than mine!

And to the MYSTERIOUS STRANGER:
You are right. I failed to let the golden torch light my way. I left out some crucial information about that picture. (Although time spins a web and we drift apart... that's no excuse!) That picture was indeed taken by a fiery latina who has since left me for warmer climates. (Perhaps she was lured there by the sunny Antonio Banderas calling her to "unwrap his package.") The picture was taken in a sacred place-- a house of sisterhood-- a house of noterity, looks and personality-- a house I have always treated with the utmost respect. After all, loyalty...honesty...those are bonds we NEVER can sever!

I hope the photographer and Pablo are having fun. I think the last thing I heard her say was "slip it to me, Pablo..."

snap.

:)

h

Anonymous said...

genug? why genug? i didn't post any comment here today.

Hyde said...

You know why...

Charby said...

Jayce and the wheeled warriors!
I remember that! It had a giant flying fishy in it!