Friday, April 29, 2005

Reconciliation with the Stallion

So it looks like I've been "forgiven" by the Stallion for my not-so "polite" behavior last Friday.

As you know, I sent him that text on Sunday telling him I felt like an asshole for how I treated him. The more I thought about it, the worse I felt. Not only was my weekend reunion with Narc dreadfully short-lived (and therefore hardly worth it, as it only served to rekindle my tortured feelings for him), but I shuddered to imagine myself in the Stallion's position. What if I had been at the Stallion's apartment and he had another girl come over in the middle of the night, leaving me in his bedroom while he screwed her in the living room?

Decidedly not cool.

Anyway, I wrote him another text yesterday asking if he was going to stay pissed at me forever. (Maybe I should have let the whole thing go, but I can't stand it when people are mad at me.)

B came over to my place at around 4:30. While we were watching Dr. Phil (a favorite pastime, albeit a guilty pleasure), the Stallion called. My stomach flipped from nerves. I didn't pick up the phone, but he left a message. He said:

"Hey Hyde. Just calling to see how you are. And for the record, I'm not mad at you, okay? So just give me a call back when you get the chance..."

(Yay! Sigh of relief...)

I didn't call back right away, as I was with B. After Dr. Phil, B and I grabbed a slice of pizza and went to the movies. We saw "the Interpreter," (which we love trying to say with an Aussie accent). It was good, but a little overwrought at times. Last summer I walked past the film shoot and watched as they filmed one of the protest scenes. It was fun to see it on the big screen. A lot of the film was shot in my neighborhood, so of course I was obsessed with figuring out where everything was taking place.

Anyway, walking back from the movie theater, my cell rang. Again, it was the Stallion. This time I answered. We had a rather akward conversation, but it definitely broke the tension. I told him that I felt really bad about how I had treated him. He said that he had been annoyed at first but then decided to just let it "roll off." It was "no big deal."

"That's what I love about you," I said. (In fact, it is!)

He said that he didn't call back right away because he figured I was dealing with a lot of stuff and that he didn't want to confuse me any further. (Thanks!) He also said that if I thought he was that angry about it, I must have been projecting.

"You're right," I said. "I'm definitely angry at myself. I feel so bad that I did that to you."

"Just forget about it," he said. "But we do need a hang-out with no drama."

"And no drinks," I added. (The classic Hyde formula--where there's drinks, there's drama!)

I told him we would meet up soon.

We hung up and I went back to chatting with B. Just a few minutes later the phone rang again. Again, it was the Stallion.

"Hyde, I forgot to ask you--do you have a contact number for that coke?" he asked.

"Um, yeah, but not on me. It's at home, and I won't be home for another 15 minutes."

"Ok, well, I'm hanging out with some old friends and we wanted to try to get some."

I told him that I'd call him with it when I got home.

"Is the guy going to call me back even if he doesn't recognize my number?" he asked.

"Um, he probably will, as long as it's not too late. He won't deliver late."

The Stallion asked me if I would call and have it delivered to me. He said he could come pick it up at my place.

"Maybe it's easier that way," he said. (I'm sure that's not the only reason he wanted to come over).

"I really can't," I told him. "I'm hanging out with a friend right now who would really not appreciate that kind of thing happening."

(In fact, B would fucking kill me. He was barely tolerating that I was talking to the Stallion in the first place. He doesn't like the Stallion, hates Narc and disapproves of my unhealthy habits.)

"Oh, okay..." the Stallion seemed a little confused.

"Well, I'm just coming back from the movies with my friend," I said.

"Maybe we can meet up later anyway?"

"Probably not. He may stay over here... On the couch," I added. "He's my best friend." (I felt akward telling him I was having another guy over).

"Oh, all right."

(I hope he doesn't think I have a different guy here every week!)

Later, when B and I were watching TV, NextDoorNeighbor rang my doorbell.

"What's up?"

"I was just over at Cheers looking for you," he said. "I asked BarMan where you were and he said you were probably home working on your incompletes. He said that it was still early and that you may stop by later."

I laughed really hard. I should have been working on my incompletes! But, yay! BarMan has faith in me! I told NextDoorNeighbor that I would see him later. We have plans for tonight--the first part of the night, before my possible meeting with Sunshine.

So that was my evening, but for some reason I couldn't settle down internally. I was really anxious about being home last night, even though B was here. Maybe it's because I always go out on Thursdays--primarily because it's one of the two weeknights that BarMan is on duty. (And I do have that little crush...) It just felt really strange to be staying home. I was in bed by midnight, for Christ's sake!

At around 1:30 am my cell phone rang. It was the Stallion yet again! This time I didn't pick up and he didn't leave a message. He probably wanted to see if B had left. In any case, I think that it's clear that we've moved past the whole Narc-incident. (At least that he's moved past the whole Narc incident. As for me... that's a whole other story!)

What do I want with the Stallion? Who the fuck knows. I guess I just didn't want him to be mad at me, and that's good enough for now.

Would you believe it? It's well before 9:00 am and I'm already up and at work on a paper! I'm going to get dressed and head to the library.

-studious hyde-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hyde, Remember what you said the other day about moving thru the anxiety, rather than acting on it! love, hammer