Sunday, April 17, 2005

Breaking the Dry-Spell

11 days alcohol free ended yesterday. All's well that ends well? Hmmm...

I do have a lot to write about, starting with a very dramatic family fight on Friday night, but I just don't have the energy to do it right now. So instead, I'll be brief.

The weekend up to this point? I went to Long Island on Friday night and stayed over. (The Stallion called me in the middle of the night, but I didn't pick up). Saturday morning my mom drove me back into the city. I wasted a lot of time in the afternoon, not doing the work that I should have. Then, around 4:00, I went out for an afternoon "pick me up." It was fabulous. The weather was brilliant and it put me in the most perfect mood! I felt totally alive.

I met NextDoorNeighbor at Manchester and had four or five whiskeys. (Cheers was closed. I was confused about why, but later learned that BarMan is home sick, so they opened late). After a little while, NextDoorNeighbor left because he had to go to his mom's for dinner. I called Bezoukoff and we talked for a little while.

From Manchester I headed to Cheers and hung out with FightingMensch. He was drunk and was being very friendly. (Sometimes he can be strangely stand-off-ish). We were mostly talking about his reservations regarding his girlfriend's possible move from Chicago to NY. I must have had four or five more drinks. PumpedUp was tending bar. He and FightingMensch were joking with me about previous "Hyde" adventures.

The evening crew started to arrive at around 8:00--IrishBird, one of the Colombians, etc. (BTW--I haven't seen the flirty Colombian since our coffee "date"). I was pretty drunk at that point. I got two random phone calls from friends I haven't seen in a while, but it was not an opportune moment for me because I was too drunk to be very cordial. I was dying to call Narc. I called Sunshine and asked her to convince me not to. It worked for the moment.

I stayed and hung out for another few hours. RK showed up and we hung out for a while, just because there was nothing else to do. I don't remember all that much after that. Looks like my 11-days dry decreased my tolerance just a bit. Weird how that can happen so fast, right? It was about 9:30. RK and I came back to hang out at my place. (I didn't want to be embarassingly drunk at Cheers so early in the evening!) I find RK really annoying--and I mean annoyingly annoying, not attractive-annoying. I don't think I feel like hanging out with him again.

The next thing I knew, I woke up at around 5:00 am. There was a small bag of "medicine" next to me. I guess it was RK's. I must have paid him for it, because it's much more than one would give a friend as a gift. I definitely didn't use any of it though--no physical signs of having indulged. I got up and went across the street to the deli to buy some tea. I just couldn't go straight back to sleep, you know? Cheers was closed, but I could see them through the window counting money and wrapping things up for the night. I started to think that I forgot to pay my tab. I didn't want to tap on the window last night, but I should poke my head in there at some point today just to make sure.

On my way back home, I checked my cell phone. Saw I had a text from the Stallion-- "Pretty nice out today. How have you been?" But worse--yup, you guessed it--one outgoing call to Narc. It was only a 3 second call, so I clearly didn't leave a message. Ughhh. That sucks, but ultimately, what's the damage? That I look pathetic? Whatever... You know what I always say--Scrap it!

Back at my place I drank my tea and went back to bed.

This morning I woke up feeling refreshed--for once I slept enough hours to entirely process out the alcohol. In fact, I feel as fresh as a daisy! It looks nice outside. I think I'll go get dressed and walk to the library.

I'll write more later...

-hyde

2 comments:

Flash said...

sounds like a good time was had, if you don't use that medicine I'll have some when I come over!

Hyde said...

Good. It's a deal. It's good incentive for me to save it. Hope you're not still feeling down today!