Thursday, February 24, 2005

Update

It's a fucking mess. Things are really really really bad. Too bad for me to live through all of it again by describing it here. I can only tell you that my brother is a mess. They had to take off most of the top of his skull so that his brain swelling would be okay. To preserve the skull they had to put it into his abdomen. His jaw is being held on by a brace. He's covered in blood and bruises and his skin is yellow (I guess from liver injury). He lost his right eye completely. His body is all broken and he's living off machines. I feel like I'm in a fucking nightmare that I can't escape. The only good thing--no spinal cord injuries. Also, his blood pressure stabilized for a few hours last night. The bad thing--There's definitely brain damage. We just don't know how much. As I write, we're still waiting for the results of the first CAT scan he's had since the emergency brain surgery when they brought him in. But worse--there's little chance that he'll survive. If he does survive, there's even less of a chance that he'll come back and be the person that he was. We still have to hope for miracles though. I'm back in the city tonight because I have to teach tomorrow (only God knows how...). But I'll be back with my family for the weekend. Sorry this is so depressing. Sorry if you don't want the gory details. It just helps me to process it all to write it here. Hope all of you who read this and all of your loved ones stay healthy and safe.

-Hyde

PS: I thought my heart was broken last Saturday... That's nothing compared to this. I'll never make such a stupid mistake again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I am, also at loss for words. God willing, all will be well!
Bezoukhoff.

Hyde said...

Thanks Bezoukhoff. We should make plans to hang out again (and maybe paint some icons)when this passes... It'll be good for spiritual healing, right?

-Hyde