Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Triumph of Time

(an excerpt)

Mother of loves that are swift to fade,
Mother of mutable winds and hours.
A barren mother, a mother maid,
Cold and clean as her faint salt flowers.
I would we twain were even as she,
Lost in the night and the light of the sea,
Where faint sounds falter and wan beams wade,
Break, and are broken, and shed into showers.



The love and hours of the life of a man,
They are swift and sad, being born of the sea.
Hours that rejoice and regret for a span,
Born with a man's breath, mortal as he;
Loves that are lost ere they come to birth,
Weeds of the wave, without fruit upon earth.
I lose what I long for, save what I can,
My love, my love, and no love for me!



-Algernon Charles Swinburne

1 comment:

feitclub said...

So, is that good news or bad? I suck at reading between the lines. >_<