Sunday, June 12, 2005

Settling In *

The weekend has been pretty good to me thus far--lots of down time and healing. I feel like I'll be ready to turn the page by tomorrow. I have SO much to do that I've been neglecting. In fact, I've compiled a huge "to do" list.

My Top 10:

1.) Find a job for the summer
2.) Finish my two incompletes and write my Adorno paper in a somewhat timely fashion
3.) Return all my overdue library books
4.) Clean my house!!! (and I don't mean just "clean," but throw out a lot of shit and reorganize what's left).
5.) Start eating better (which will have to include some minor grocery shopping).
6.) Remember to take my blood sugar meds (which I've been neglecting to do for the past week or so)
7.) Start exercising regularly. (It's been almost a year since I've been on top of that one!)
8.) Take my cat to the vet (or at least schedule the appointment)
9.) Catch up on gifts I have to buy--a birthday present for my brother in law, a birthday present for my stepsister, a graduation present for JBC and a father's day card for my stepfather (I already got him a present).
10.) Call to schedule a voice lesson (I haven't been in about two weeks) and buy a new canvas to paint. (I need to do something creative!)

It's a lot, right?

Anyway, on Friday after Narc left my place, I spent some time napping and recuperating. I was pretty wiped out and was very surprised when Narc called me later that afteroon (at about 4:30). He said he was just calling to "see how I was feeling," but I found that a little suspicious.

"What else is up?" I asked.

"Well, actually," he began, "I have to ask you a huuuuuuuge favor."

"Sure, anything..."

Narc explained that he was having trouble with his computer and that he needed to reinstall a bunch of programs. Hammer had lent him a disc which I still had at my house, and he needed it back to run it again. He asked if I could bring it down to him.

"Normally I wouldn't ask on a day like today," he explained, "but this is kind of a crisis."

I was feeling well enough, so I agreed. I grabbed the disc and caught a cab down to Tribeca. It was raining and there was a ton of traffic, so it took me a long time to get there. Strangely, by the time I arrived, Narc had resolved his computer problem and told me that he no longer needed the disc. We hung out an talked for a while anyway. Part of me thinks that he just wanted an excuse for me to come over without having to invite me outright.

"Cinema Paradiso?" he suggested.

We settled in with the three-hour director's cut. I had never seen it before. (I thought the movie was amazing, by the way, and our discussion after it was over gave me some insight into his personality. I wanted to right more about that, but I just don't have the energy to think it through right now, so maybe in the next post...)

Anyway, I really just loved being chill and watching the movie with him. We ordered in pizza and relaxed on the couch. His phone must have rung a thousand times with friends inviting him out to party, but he ignored it each time, never once picking it up. Why were so many friends calling him? If you recall, they were all coming in from out of town for that wedding--including an ex-girlfriend who is staying with him for the weekend. (A little weird, but whatever...)

The ex-girlfriend called and said that her plane would be landing at JFK at around 9:15, so when the movie ended at 9:30, I suggested that I take off. I didn't want to risk bumping into her. Narc gave me a huge hug goodbye--a real one. He said he would call soon. It was nice.

Back at my place, I relaxed for a little while, and talked to B on the phone. At around 11:00 I dropped by NextDoorNeighbor's and we hung out for a while before going to bed.

Yesterday I met Hammer at an outdoor cafe in Union Square for brunch. Yay! It was so nice to see her again and catch up on everything. She told me all about her new job in DC and we talked about the differences between Washington and New York. I caught her up (in person) on all of the Narc-drama. After the meal we strolled around the area doing a bit of shopping. I bought two pairs of earrings, a pair of sunglasses, a T-shirt and two tops (that I totally couldn't afford!) at Anthropologie.

My mom had planned to come into the city to look at a refridgerator in the same neighborhood where Hammer and I were shopping. She is redecorating the house and buying all new furniture and appliances. She's going for a very speicifc retro look and had found some 1940's/1950's-style fridge that's only carried by one dealer in the Northeast. Hammer and I met her outside the store. Hammer hadn't seen my mom since January when she came with my family to Puerto Rico. The bottom line on fridge-shopping-- my mom loved what she saw and I'm pretty sure she's going to order it.

After that, Hammer had to part ways with us, but my mom and I went over to ABC Carpet and Home just to browse. That store is fucking incredible. I love it! I wanted everything that I saw. As we wandered through the different floors, we had fun laughing at some of the more outlandish pieces and their outrageous prices. As luck would have it, my mom found two things that she is seriously considering investing in--a couch and a gorgeous TV cabinet. I found an insane armoire covered in foiled wallpaper and mirrored tiles that I would have loved to have, but as it cost over $7000, not even in my dreams will that piece be making an arrival in my apartment.

After a few hours, my mom drove me back home and then took off for Long Island by herself. I went over to Cheers where I hung out with BarMan and one of the Colombians for a while. Later, NextDoorNeighbor dropped by and we talked for an hour or so. I had tentative plans to meet Hammer and the Wizard later, but by the time I left Cheers, I had polished off about 8 drinks or so, and was not really in a state for sober socializing. I called Hammer and told her just that, so we rescheduled for tonight instead.

When I left Cheers, I had intended to come home just to eat dinner before heading back out, but I was so tired that I ended up falling asleep at 10:00. I was out like a light for the night. I guess I'm still not physically back to my usual self. I think that this week has just taken a lot out of me, both emotionally and physically.

Today NextDoorNeighbor and I are heading out to Jackson Heights for some "ethnic food" and adventure. As we live in Midtown, I really hope that we don't get caught up in the chaos of the Puerto Rican Day Parade. I hate the huge crowds and the rowdiness. Plus, it's supposed to be around 90-degrees today, so in the heat, the crowded subways are going to be hell!

I expect it to be a good day, though. And I hope you're all enjoying the weekend!

-h

* I was stumped in terms of a title. I credit this one to NextDoorNeighbor who is currently sitting on my couch waiting for me to be ready to go...

No comments: