Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Sweet & Low

I added pictures to this post!

B told me that my theme for the new year is "Sweet & Low." I like it. Today is day-one. I just finished 45 minutes on my exercise bike. Yay! I'm going to hop into the shower and then get out of the house with a stack of papers to grade. There's a cafe on the Upper East Side I've been wanting to check out--The Downtown Uptown Cafe. Maybe I'll go do my work there...

I actually got 8 hours of sleep last night. Why has it left me feeling more tired than ever? I think I'm just so overdue sleep that it's going to take a while to feel "healthy" again.

Well, off to work! The next two weeks are going to be INSANELY chaotic for me in terms of school work, grading and the holidays, and then I'm off to Argentina with NDN. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to blog. I mean, I'm sure I'll still find time to post, but probably not in as much detail.

Oh, and Dan-- you did not miss my birthday party. It's coming up this Friday. I couldn't do it last weekend because I had my choir concerts.

Sweet & Low begins!

-h-

NOW, FOR THE PICTURES:
These are basically random pictures. I've just been playing around with the new camera, but am excited to have it, so I figured I'd post some things.




These are a bunch of boys that I was talking to on Sunday night when Narc was ignoring me.













This is a picture of Narc's bedroom. Note the penguins on his top shelf, and the construction out the window, about to block what used to be a beautiful view of the Empire State Building.













This is a picture of the bar area of the restaurant where B and I ate on my birthday. It's too blurry and I didn't use the flash correctly, but you can get a sense of how heavily decorated for the holidays it is!










This is a picture of what I see out my window when I play piano. That's my sheet-music in the foreground. (I think it's a Handel aria--Ombra mai fu and then the Durufle Requiem to the right, if any of you are curious). The string of yellow lights cutting across the center are a reflection of the Christmas lights up in my living room. (Obviously, I was having issues with the camera flash here as well.)


Anyway, I still have a lot to figure out with this camera, and the pictures aren't the best quality, but I had fun. Hope you enjoy them!

19 comments:

sunshine said...

Go Hyde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HistoryGeek said...

Sounds like a good start to the year.

feitclub said...

Sadly, I am still destined to "miss" your party. At least now I know I didn't miss reading about it. On the matter of sleep, I rarely find a correlation between the length of my slumber and my energy level. If I get anything between six and ten hours, I feel the same.

It's a long flight to Argentina, you should bring a book to read on the plane. ^_^

Jessica said...

Dr. Jekyll!!!!!
So nice to see you!

sunshine said...

Nice pictures!!

Love Em.

Charby said...

Awesome view Hyde!

Sarah663 said...

Those are super cool. Looking forward to more pics! :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about Hyde not having anything to read on the plane maybe Hyde and I will have conversations that are awkward and uncomfortable on purpose to unsettle the other passengers. Nothing obscene or anything that would scare people, that wouldn't be nice, but maybe pretend that we are breaking up and start to make up fake personal details about the other person, or fake back stories, or we could start random conversations with the people next to us and have aliases. wow, this is starting to sound kinda cool. Yeah, so don't worry about Hydey possibly not having anything to read.

Hyde said...

I hate to break it to you NDN-- I will still be grading finals on the plane. My grades are due the 28th and I have to enter them online once we get to Argentina. Although you could always talk to yourself. I'm sure that would make the other passengers sufficiently "awkward!"

Anonymous said...

Hyde-
It would not make the other passengers "awkward." It may make them FEEL "awkward" though....

Hyde said...

Alright. NDN-- I'm in no mood. Don't make me kick your ass. (Or give you a scissor to the scrotum! ;))

feitclub said...

Ah, that view...I miss it! Thanks!

HistoryGeek said...

Lovely view. Are you one of those people I envy so, who can play and sing at the same time?

Hyde said...

Yes, I am! Good to have started piano lessons at age 4...

swisslet said...

that's a cool view and I'm very jealous of your manifold skills with music - playing it, singing it, etc. I had piano lessons for years, and all I can play is "chopsticks".

Out of interest, what are you reading at the moment?

ST

Hyde said...

Oh, ST! I fondly remember the days when I had time to read anything for pleasure! (Not that my school reading isn't pleasurable, but when there's pressure to finish, it's different...)

Right now (for my paper for the Italian history class) I'm reading a book by Jeremy Tambling called "Opera and the Culture of Fascism." (Can you tell I chose my own topic?)

For Argentina, I'm thinking of bringing along a book that Narc highly recommended-- "Beware of Pity" by Stefan Zweig. I ordered it online, but it has yet to arrived.

Most likely I'll still just be reading crappy student papers and horrible multiple choice exams for the forseeable future!

What about you? Reading anything good?

-h

Anonymous said...

I am dissapointed in Narc's bedroom. I thought it would look more exciting.

Hyde said...

Don't worry Mystic-- it's plenty exciting.

swisslet said...

hmmm - c. reads stefan zweig too. I think she has quite a lot in common with Dr.Jekyll (although bless her, she couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!)

I've got a couple of books on the go at the moment:

"Until I Find You" - the new 900 page John Irving. It got terrible reviews, but I'm really enjoying it

"The Last Party: Britpop, Blair and the Demise of English Rock" by John Harris. It's the story of bands like Oasis, Blur, Elastica & Pulp and how they rose and fall and got tangled up with the new optimism in the UK after Tony Blair's election in 1997. Interesting.

I've also got a couple of people's nano novels to read (Alecya and Mark Reed) and I desperately want my copy of "V for Vendetta" back so that I can re-read it before the film comes out. I also want to re-read "The Catcher in the Rye" as it's been a while, and someone once (a little bizarrely) compared me with Holden Caulfield.

Oh, and I need to read both "Timequake" by Vonnegut and "Wisden 2005" as soon as possible too.

So many books, so little time.

ST

(actually - can you mail me your top 5 earworms for 2005? I'd appreciate your input!)