Monday, December 12, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me?

Happy Birthday to Me?

So far, it hasn't been a very happy one...

I brought in the big day with Narc down at The Patriot. He ignored me for half the night and I ended up talking to a guy named Ismail, which of course made Narc jealous and fueled his self-righteousness when he said that I don't care about him and that I'm a whore.

Later we went back to his place and he told me that he is suicidal. He told me he is going to throw himself off the Brooklyn Bridge and that he already brought himself to the brink once. I started to cry. He told me to quit my hysterics.

"You're just being dramatic!" he said. "You're just trying to make it all about yourself, Hyde. You're being a stupid bitch! Stop it! This is not about you!"

I told him he could call me at any moment day or night if he ever felt that way. EVER!

"Please Narc! Please call me! I'll be there for you, I promise. I don't want anything bad to happen to you! And you should know that someone loves you. I wish you could understand how much you matter to me!"

"You? You want me to depend on you? That's a joke!" he said.

"No, it's no joke, Narc. You don't know how much I love you. You don't want to open your fucking eyes!"

"Fine... So I guess you and CouchSleeper are the only ones who give a shit!"

Then he laughed at me and told me that I don't really love him, but that I just like to hear the sound of my own voice saying "I love you."

"You always have to be the fucking martyr, Hyde. You're pathetic!"

He pushed me. I cried harder. It seemed to make him angrier. He wanted to be mean. He wanted to make more tears. So he told me that I could expect him to die and disappear at any moment. He knows I have issues with death and abandonment.

"It's going to happen," he said. "It's only a matter of when. You'll never know when it's coming..."

I became hysterical. I buried my head in the couch. My makeup ran everywhere. I couldn't breathe. He just looked at me with disdain.

Then he got colder and colder and angrier and angrier at me. At 6:00 am he decided he had had enough. He went into his room and closed the door, locking me out. I pounded on the door in tears, begging to be let in.

"No! Fuck you! Sleep out there or go away," he said.

"Please, Narc! Please! PLEASE let me come in there with you! I just want to be near you."

Finally he opened the door. He got into bed and turned his back to me. When I tried to hug him in bed, he gave me a hard shove.

"Stay the fuck away from me," he said.

I tried to figure out what I had done wrong.

He faced the wall and clutched his stuffed penguin. (He loves penguins, for some reason.)

This morning when I woke up, I kissed him on his shoulders and on his back. (He was still facing the wall). My head hurt, my eyes stung and I had missed my therapy appointment.

"I hope you're feeling better, Narc," I said. "Are you feeling any better?"

He was asleep, but he could hear me. He shook his head "no."

"Well, today's my birthday, remember?"

He took my hand and pulled me in near him. He squeezed my hand. It was sweet.

"I have to go now, Narc," I said. "But call me later, okay?"

He grunted something.

"You'll call me later?"

He nodded his head "yes." His eyes were still closed.

I looked in the mirror. I looked like a 27-year-old version of "hell." I left him a note on his computer desk.

Narc,

Our conversation last night made me very, very sad. You kind of scared the shit out of me. I hope you know that you can always call me. I know you said that you don't think I'm genuine, but I am.

Today is my birthday.

All my love,

Hyde

PS: I'm going to Rolf's tonight for dinner! :)
PPS: You said that you'd call me later, so please do. (love you...)

And that was that.

I spoke to Hammer in the cab on my way home. She told me to stop putting my energy into this. To stop letting it consume everything else that matters in my life.

Right now, I just have to get rid of this headache. B will be here in an hour and I don't want to look drunk or hungover for him. It's supposed to be my birthday. It's supposed to be about me today. I can't run on such little sleep anymore. I just can't. My body is going to physically give out one of these days.

Happy Birthday to Hyde.

-h-

14 comments:

Sarah663 said...

Reading your post was like reading my own diary...standing outside, pounding on the door, wanting more than anything to be let in, not understanding what you've done wrong... Hyde - YOU. CAN'T. FIX. HIM. There's nothing more to say. After losing one Narc to suicide, and coming close to losing another - there's sometimes when you have to stand back and realize that there is nothing you can do and it's not about you. I don't know why we are destined to try to fix these kinds of men, but we can't do it. The sooner we can gain that understanding, the better. Just know that I know what you're going through and I'm thinking about you. Happy Birthday. Make it about you...

LavaLady said...

Happy Birthday Hyde!

LavaLady said...

Hyde, Narc is an asshole. Yeah you know that, yeah, you are in love with him, but he is a fucking jerk.

His threatening suicide is bullshit. And I say this as a person who put herself in the hospital recently so I would be safe from my suicidal instincts. Google Personality Disorders, and/or Borderline Personality Disorder. You may well see aspects of Narc there.

Also he's an alcoholic and he seems especially shitty when he is drinking (at least this is what I get from this). I personally cannot be in relationships (of any kind, not even friends) with people who are perfecting their alcoholism, I get too angry.

It's your business and your decision, but this kind of interaction means you should be the fuck done with him. In my opinion, which yes, means nothing. But I couldn't not say anything.

But seriously, if he is gonna kill himself there is nothing you can do, and if he is gonna make your birthday about his drama, FUCK HIM.

Sorry, but this reminds me of my ex husband who would make everything about how badly I behaved, and I mean everything.

Whew. Take care, Hyde.

Alecya G said...

Hyde- I know the other day you said you could relate to one of the posts I made. Now I can tell you the same.

Please, darling, remember that you are wonderful. You have bad days adn bad habits, *but you are worth more than you are letting yourself be treated* I know that you probably don't want advice, but from a person who has been where you are, let me tell you, you can love him and not be in love with him. You can be there for him and not let him hurt you like this.

As a person who has teh least right to probably say it, after reading you and lurking around your blog for so long, i feel like I know you, and I love who you are. Love yourself, darling. There is someone out there who can love you the way you deserve/

And have a happy birthday. Please. You deserve it.

Lots of Love-
Alecya

Anonymous said...

This is the worst thing he's ever done. The Narc really is a narcissist, now I'm sure of it. He can't handle the fact that it's your birthday. He needs everything to be about him, all the time. I hope you can spend today as you want to. Love, hammer

Anonymous said...

STEP ONE
"we admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

Who cares to admit complete defeat? Practically no one, of course. Every natural instinct cries out against the idea of personal powerlessness. It is truly awful to admit that glass in hand, we have warped our minds into such an obsession for destructive drinking that only an act of provedence can remove it from us.....and that is the first chapter in the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

swisslet said...

happy birthday kiddo.

ST

HistoryGeek said...

I said it before, but you need to hear it again: Happy Birthday!

(Probably not what you thought I would say :)

I can't say more on the other subject other than ditto what lavalady said.

Radmila said...

I sincerely hope that what I just read is really what you mean when you say "a fictional account" in your blogs tagline.
Because, if it isn't...and what you wrote really happened last night, then you're in trouble, girl.
You need to do something.
No.
Really.
I'm worried for you, and I'm virtually a stranger to you.

Radmila said...

Happy Birthday...I was so wrapped up in your entry that I totally lost the fact that it was your birthday.

feitclub said...

What a way for bad Narc to come back...

Anonymous said...

The last line of my previous comment should read. That is the first paragraph, in the first step of alcoholics anonymous.

Charby said...

I hope the day picks up for you Hyde and you have a good day, ignore the spoiled brat-cunt, like Hammer said, he's just trying to spoil your day, I can't help but have visions of him sitting up and plotting ways to get attention from you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you get lots of funky presents and have a great day - and some sleep!!

Anonymous said...

Charby, this is a woman I admire.

"spoilt brat--cunt"....perfect no mincing of the words. Charby you have just found yourself a new fan......